Thursday, February 23, 2012

Drinking. It's more fun in the Philippines






I stumbled upon a picture when I was just randomly browsing my facebook. Drinking beer - more fun in the Philipines. At the left of the picture is a beer that costs $3.50 and at the right the equivalent of how many beers that $3.50 can purchase if you're in the Philippines. 




We all know that we Filipinos always drink beer every time there is a gathering or spending our time together with friends in a bar or even at our own house. We also add a little more spice to our drinking sessions by adding pulutan such as sisig, fries, calamares etc.




Pretty much I can relate to the picture. I know that drinking too much beer is not healthy but in the Philippines beer is pretty much affordable which is exactly the opposite here in Singapore. Soberness — more fun in the Philippines, but here in Singapore you need to have lots of money in order to get sober. So just to give you an idea, the average price for a can of beer here in Singapore is 3-4 SGD (which amounts to 100 - 150 in Philippine peso). So how many beers can you purchase with your 150 pesos in the Philippines? Three? Maybe four.




For a practical person like me, that is Way too expensive. Also the price of cigarretes here is also expensive. So if you are a heavy drinker and a smoker you will have second thoughts in buying these stuffs just to satisfy your cravings. A pack of Marlboro costs around 10 SGD (around 340 in Philippine peso). Everytime my friends based here in Singapore would invite me to a gathering or drinking on a weekend, I would just refuse the offer and would not show up since I know I have to give my share of dollars as well to buy some booze. If I'm in the Philppines then I would be more happy to pay even if that is for a case of beer since that would be the price of just two three cans of beer here. 




Good thing though that I don't smoke and I only get to drink beer on occassions. I also limit myself to three bottles of Red Horse if I'm going out with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment